Your network is valuable!
But are you maximising that value?
Whether you are a school leaver, graduate, leaving your first job or looking for a change of career we’ve put together some hints and tips about growing your network on LinkedIn.
- Follow LinkedIn’s own guidance on completing your profile. Add employment history, education, causes you care about.
- Make sure you pick a clear profile photo. Let your picture and background photo get YOUR personality across! Professional doesn’t mean boring!
- Add your LinkedIn profile link to your contact details on your personal or work email signature
- Download the LinkedIn app and connect it with your phone contacts, sign in using your personal email, spend 10 minutes a week looking at who you have emailed and connect with them – iOS or Android
- Share your LinkedIn profile on other social channels – encourage friends/family to connect. You’ll be surprised how family friends and acquaintances work in similar industries or companies.
- Search for and join relevant groups. Make sure you don’t just join a group and never look at it again. LinkedIn, like any Social Media is all about engagement! Ask for advice, comment on other posts, share your ideas or views… ENGAGE!
- Share at least one update a day on your specialist area – The update can be something in the news, a good blog or even quote (be creative!)
- Comment, like and engage with other people’s updates – family, friends, people you went to school with, former and current colleagues
- Follow/Connect with influential users to engage with their content – if you are into Marketing check out Mark Ritson or Gary Vaynerchuk. For business try Richard Branson or Jessica Alba.
- Looking for a new job? Head over to the ‘Jobs’ section in the toolbar and update your career interests. Here you can also flick a switch to let Recruiters know you are actively looking for a new job. Or turn it off when you are happy!
- Finally, check the People you Know feature at least once a week! You’ll be surprised who pops up and how they might just be able to help you with a career move, sale or just provide some advice.
Don’t forget to follow us on LinkedIn for more tips and advice.
How to Grow Your LinkedIn Network
Whether you are a school leaver, graduate, leaving your first job or looking for a change of career we’ve put together some hints and tips about growing your network...